Monday, January 25, 2016

The Detour

  The other day as I was admiring my latest nail polish color and ogling over my color collecting addiction, I told my boyfriend I had enough nail polishes to paint my nails a different color every week for an entire year. To which he responded, "You should do that! And make a blog about it!"


WEEK 17: The Detour
While sorting through my polishes last week I came across an old one I haven't used in forever, a crackle nail polish. You might remember this craze from a few years back, but for those of you who missed it, and aren't willing to use like 2 seconds to Google it, allow me to explain. Crackle nail polish is a colored polish used over another color that cracks as it dries, revealing little shards of the base underneath. It results in an almost shattered look. So this week I had planned to do a design with this polish, but spoilers... I didn't.


I started with a beautiful base of Revlon's Chameleon, which has recently become an obsession of mine. And with the intent of using a crackling polish over it I decided I wanted to add a splash of variety to the base. Since only bits and pieces would show through in the finished design it didn't have to have any rhyme or reason to it. I started with some randomly placed strokes and dots of black and then paired each stroke with some bright, glittering green.
  

As I prepared to finish off my design with a top coat of crackle polish I couldn't help but admire the results of my random splattering. And in the end I couldn't bring myself to cover up the almost wooden like design. So I decided to top it off with a protective clear coat and call it good. Crackling would have to wait.
  
 
Sometimes I have a plan for my nails; I'll plot out exactly what I want to do, whether the idea is straight from my own imagination or a twist off of a design I saw somewhere else. Other times I'll just grab an assortment of colors and start messing around until I stumble across something I really like. This week's design fell somewhere in middle, and I'm okay with that, because it reminds me of life itself. We often make plans and goals, and other times we just make it up along the way. But no matter the plan, or lack thereof, no one really knows where they're going to end up. So I think it's good to be willing to take a detour here and there, venturing into the unknown, because you just may stumble across someplace even more beautiful than the place you had set out towards.

Products Used:
 
- Revlon - Chameleon 
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
- Pure Ice - Lucky Charming
Nail Art Brush Set

No comments:

Post a Comment