Monday, January 4, 2016

The Jamberry Experience

  The other day as I was admiring my latest nail polish color and ogling over my color collecting addiction, I told my boyfriend I had enough nail polishes to paint my nails a different color every week for an entire year. To which he responded, "You should do that! And make a blog about it!"


WEEK 15: The Jamberry Experience
Now there's something you should know about me, and I'm not exactly proud of this, but I am a terrible trend hater. If it's popular and the 'in thing', chances are I'm going to avoid it at all costs, even if I may have liked it if I had discovered it myself. I can't help it, it's basically programmed into me. So when I saw this weird new craze of Jamberry Wraps blowing up every one of my social media accounts, the mere utterance of the words put a bad taste in my mouth. I mocked and judged from the lofty seat of my self placed nail art connoisseur pedestal. Until one day when I was forced to dip my toes, or fingers more accurately, into the waters of the bandwagon culture that is our world today. An old friend of mine had invited me into one of those online Facebook parties, you know, the ones we use to escape the awkwardness of actual social interactions and having to put on pants. And being the supportive person I am, I decided to participate, throw out a few likes, even some comments, and wouldn't you know it, irony kicked me in the butt. I actually won some free Jamberry Wraps.



I had received a small sample kit with an invitation to "Take the 7-day Challenge", which suggested putting Jamberry to the test by using one of their wraps on an accent nail and painting the rest with regular polish. After a week I would be able to see just how the wrap holds up in comparison. So I decided to give it a shot.

The kit came with an assortment of different wrap designs, a nail file, cuticle pusher, alcohol wipe and a set of easy to follow instructions. I began by preparing the nail for wrap application by pushing back the cuticle and cleaning the nail with the provided wipe. After selecting my design I peeled off the wrap and used a hair dryer to warm it for a few seconds until soft and pliable. I then placed the wrap onto the nail and carefully pressed down making sure to smooth out any air bubbles and seal it especially around the edges. 

Once the base of the wrap was securely in place I removed the excess by trimming along the edge of the nail with scissors and smoothed off anything remaining using a downward motion with a nail file. Lastly, I took my blow dryer once again and applied heat and pressure in order to fully bond the wrap to the nail.

Then, as suggested, I coated each of my other nails in a basic black polish. I also decided to step outside of the box a little and use a glitter polish over the wrap to add a little bit more pizzazz. I know, I'm a rebel. 


 As hard as it is for my trend hating ego to admit, I was quite impressed with these wraps. The whole application process took a matter of mere minutes and was surprisingly simple, and best of all there was no dry time, meaning I was instantly available for other tasks instead of helplessly meandering around the house using my feet and mouth to turn on lights and pick things up. Although I must admit, "My nails are drying" has always been my most effective scapegoat when it comes to avoiding chores. All in all I would definitely recommend Jamberry Wraps. They give everyone, coordinated or not, the opportunity to have beautiful and lasting manicures without a pricey trip to the nail salon.


With all that being said, I probably won't ever be using these myself. The reason is, for me personally, doing my nails is less about the result of having them painted and more about the artistic process and possibilities of doing them myself. Honestly, when I was young(er) I hated nail polish. In theory I thought it sounded great and I would paint them, but after one look at my hands I would immediately remove it all. It just wasn't me. But as I got older I realized that doing my nails was a great opportunity to show off my art in a less obnoxious way than, "Look at this thing I made!". Once I changed the way I went about doing my nails and the way I thought about it, I instantly fell in love with it. I love creating art, and I love wearing art. 

Products Used:
 
- Jamberry Wraps - Mind Games
- Pure Ice -Dazzel Me
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out

No comments:

Post a Comment