Monday, February 1, 2016

Cathedral Vogue

  The other day as I was admiring my latest nail polish color and ogling over my color collecting addiction, I told my boyfriend I had enough nail polishes to paint my nails a different color every week for an entire year. To which he responded, "You should do that! And make a blog about it!"


WEEK 18: Cathedral Vogue
I'll be honest, I'm a terrible procrastinator, I always have been, but some day I hope to change that... if I can ever get around to it. So when I found myself starting on my nails almost a week in advance it was a huge deal. I decided I wanted to try something a little more intricate and elaborate to take full advantage of my lack of a time crunch. I skimmed through my list of design ideas and found one I've been meaning to try out for quite a while now. Next I scoured through my ever increasing collection to find the perfect pallet of colors that would accurately reflect the ornate beauty of stained glass.


I started out with a basic, solid foundation of black. After giving it plenty of time to dry I used my thin nail tape to mask off sections in a variety of shapes and sizes. I also used tape around the outer edge of the nail to leave a black boarder around the entire design.

Next I used my colors to carefully fill in each of these shapes, paying special attention not to place the same color side by side. I used each bottle's brush to do this, but if you're unsure of your ability to fill in such little spaces without coloring outside of the lines you can always use a fine brush to do so.

After a few seconds I very carefully removed the tape. My advice when using nail tape that crosses over itself is to remember the exact order you placed it down in so that you can pull it back off in the reverse order, meaning the last piece you placed should be the first you remove. Trying to lift a strip that is underneath another strip can mess up the polish.

After plenty of dry time I finished off my nails with a protective clear coat.


From the moment I pulled off the tape I started squealing like a school girl... And I'm not even ashamed. This is by far one of my favorite nail designs I have ever done. And the irony of the matter is that I did this design because I had so much time on my hands, while in the end it was faster and easier than most of the designs I typically do. The best thing about it is that it's completely customizable in that the shapes and colors can be altered in an endless variety. So basically I could just do this design for the rest of my life and still have it be different every single week! I always knew the meaning to life could be found in a church, but I never dreamt that the answer to nail art could be found there as well. The Lord truly does work in mysterious ways.



Products Used:
 
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
- Capri - Spirit
- Make Up Gallery Time to Shine - Copper Kiss 7
- Pure Ice - Fast Lane
- Sally Hansen Miracle Gel - Game of Chromes
- Avon - Ballerina Pink
Nail Tape Stripe Decoration Stickers 

No comments:

Post a Comment