Monday, November 23, 2015

Black Out

  The other day as I was admiring my latest nail polish color and ogling over my color collecting addiction, I told my boyfriend I had enough nail polishes to paint my nails a different color every week for an entire year. To which he responded, "You should do that! And make a blog about it!"

WEEK 13: Black Out
It all began one stormy night in November... the skies roared, the earth quaked in fear, and towering cedars buckled before the might of a wind just shy of hurricane proportion. Thousands left without power, families huddled for warmth, and me discovering doing my nails by candlelight sucks big time.

After 5 days without power, I turned to my oh so hospitable boyfriend, and having already imposed myself upon his home for warm showers and laundry capabilities, I had one more question:
How much will you hate me if your house smells like nail polish for a day?





I felt it only fitting to dedicate this week's nail design to my week by contrasting a golden ray of light with an almost soulless black polish (conveniently named Black Out). After a few coats, my brand new golden polish was the perfect base to work from.

I then used one of my fine dotting pens to create a cluster of black dots at the base of the nail that shrank in size and frequency as I worked my way to the tip of the nail. I did this on every nail but that of my ring finger. Finally, to finish my design, I scattered some small metal star and circle decals onto the last nail, which I then covered in countless layers of top coat in order to secure and smooth out the surface.


Not only was I extremely pleased with the look of the resulting design, but it seemed to perfectly represent my feelings this last week. The golden polish reminded me of the many shimmering candles that I have become so dependent on for light and hope, and yet, while they did eat away the darkness, they did so only partially. And even our man-made attempts at light are so fragile, being taken out by nature itself. But at the same time, the Creator of all things provides us with an always present light, be it day or night. And when I learn to rely on that light, I always have hope, because my hope is it that which the winds cannot shake.


"In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:4-5


Products Used:
 
- Revlon - Chameleon
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
- Body Blends Accents - Basecoat
- Seche Vite - Top Coat
- DragonPad Dotting Pen Set 
3D Metal Nail Art Studs 

No comments:

Post a Comment